Logica, SAP, and Sybase's Innovative Mobile Applications for Anglian Water
For years, vendors and utilities have treated mobile applications as something of a problem child. Vendors have not developed applications with the usability and configurability that end users have been crying out for, while many utilities have been reluctant to invest in sophisticated, custom-built applications. In May 2010, SAP bought mobile application platform Sybase and rewrote its mobile strategy. This paper looks in more detail at Anglian Water's Toughbook 2 project, the first example of a mobile application developed on the Sybase platform since SAP acquired it.
Toughbook 2 project is the first use of Sybase in the utilities industry since SAP acquired it
- The mobile workforce and the technologies that support it are of growing strategic importance to utilities.
- Anglian Water's Toughbook 2 project focused on improving the user experience through better interfaces, user-specific workflows, and push and pull technology.
- Toughbook 2 is the first example of a utility using Sybase as a mobile application platform since SAP acquired it two years ago.
- Toughbook 2 is an early example of SAP's wider mobile strategy that will rely on a number of development partners.
- Logica's experience with Anglian Water places the systems integrator in a good position to work on more utility-specific mobility projects using the SAP mobile platform.
Within a year, Logica delivered Anglian Water's first customer application
Toughbook 2 will deliver six different applications to 1,400 engineers, covering seven key functional areas:
- Wastewater Collection
- Water Networks
- Wastewater Treatment
- Wastewater Mechanical & Electrical
- Water Supply
- Debt Recovery.
Critical to the application's success is the ability to serve data from a number of other applications so that they arrive at the engineer's mobile device in a timely fashion. The application architecture was designed to support the optimal delivery of information. The project team identified the most time-critical data and prioritized this data over others.
Contact Logica to discuss how mobile workforce applications can deliver value to your organization.